Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Why you must read Inbound Marketing; To the small B2B business owner



I just finished reading Inbound Marketing by Brian Halligan and Dharmesh Shah, the co-founders of Hubspot. It is an informative book that I would recommend to anyone who is trying to market anything these days. Their perspective is totally focused on social media marketing and SEO methods. They reinforce the idea that interruptive marketing tactics are less and less effective as people develop ways to block and filter out the interruption.

The centerpiece of their strategy is Google, the blogosphere and, remarkable content. They hammer the point that if content is king; then remarkable content is the Alexander the Great of content marketing. They cover all of the bases but, I found that they give just a little more detail than most. I learned some things that I was not aware of and identified some mistakes that I made early on that are not easily fixed….using macboo62 for my twitter name instead of Joe Machuta is one of them…smile.

This book covers it all from domain names to getting found on YouTube by creating outstanding videos. It provides very detailed information about the workings of all the major social networks like Face Book, LinkedIn, Twitter, Digg, and Stumbleupon. It also goes into detail about each one of these venues and it reinforces the methods and strategies that are already being used by most of us.

There is also some good advice for companies along the lines of planning for the future and measuring and hiring employees. The major argument is that web 2.0 should be considered heavily in everything that is being done. All companies would do well to have some web 2.0 savvy employees.

 I am writing to the small B2B business owner; the one who has 5 – 35 employees and is the CEO, CMO, COO and , CFO all rolled into one person.. This would be a great addition to your bookshelf. It is imperative that small B2B service businesses embrace the new rules of marketing. Yes, this book is about the new rules of marketing and the impact that they can have on the business person who is willing to wholeheartedly embrace change.

I really appreciate feedback so feel free to make comments to my blog posts.

3 comments:

  1. Joe, Many thanks for writing about Inbound Marketing. Brian and Dharmesh have done a great job with the book. We did a signing last night in Boston - so good to see the interest.

    Good luck implementing the ideas.

    David

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joe,
    What a great write up...now I will have to read the book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joe - Fantastic writeup. I just read this as well after winning a free copy.

    I work for a sales training and outsourcing company, Vorsight, and while our own sales team is top notch, we're still working on rouding out some of our marketing efforts. This book made sense and elaborated on of some of the concepts I'm already familiar with, as well as introduced me to some new potential strategies.

    I agree 100% with your writeup.

    Beth Avery
    Director of Marketing
    Vorsight

    ReplyDelete